GFG launches its first Global Chairman’s Excellence Awards
When Sanjeev Gupta put the call out for submissions for the first-ever GFG Chairman’s Global Excellence Awards, we weren’t quite sure what to expect. The event, which began in Australia, was initially created as a way to showcase and celebrate excellence aligned to our three values of Change, Family and Sustainability. Taking it global was ambitious, and doing so during a pandemic more so. But our people came through!
We received hundreds of submissions with 160 team entries, and 60 for individuals, from 14 countries. The initiatives and achievements were diverse, but one theme was common: passionate people who care about making a difference.
There were 24 Finalists for 2021 that had submitted entries linked to our values, and from those came the seven category winners.
- Change – From Rotherham Steel & Bar, in the UK, the GreBar Development Team.
- Family | Safety – From LIBERTY Magona. For introducing a new way of identifying and assessing risk in the cold rolling mill department.
- Family | Partnerships – From LIBERTY Georgetown, USA, the Georgetown family, for their amazing work with the local community, and for striving to keep Georgetown beautiful.
- Sustainability | Economic – From, LIBERTY Powder Metals, UK, for turning an R&D concept into a manufacturing business.
- Sustainability | Social – From LIBERTY Skopje in North Macedonia, for their internship programme.
- CN 30 – From the Lochaber Energy and Marble Power in the UK, for successfully entering Lochaber’s hydro plant into the UK’s balancing mechanism.
- Shine Award – From InfraBuild Laverton Steel, Australia, Sean Aherne, for his engagement in the I Am Here project.